How to Choose a Baby Name
It is so absolutely true: you don’t realise how many people or names you dislike until you try to name a baby! Choosing baby names is a mammoth task with a lot of pressure, your little one is going to have this name for the rest of their lives! The decision process can start arguments and is always a magnet for those opinions you did not ask for from family and friends. To help with the task, we have come up with a few pointers on how to choose a baby name!
Start with the ABC’s
Start with the basics – the first initial! Making your way through the alphabet, eliminate letters that you definitely don’t want to use. Perhaps you have other family members with those initials, or when paired with your surname, makes an undesirable word (eg. S. Pitts).
With the remaining letters and a good list of baby names handy (from either books or baby name blogs), start making your way through the names and divide them into categories. Discard the ones you definitely don’t want your baby to have and keep names you like and names you think will make good middle names.
Then return to your list and remember to think about things like:
- How does it sound out loud?
- Your child’s initials don’t spell out anything awful?
- Think about the shortened version of the name (it’s inevitable!) Do you like the sound of the name shortened and does it work with the middle and surname?
- If you have had scans indicating that you’re having a boy or girl, be sure you’re choosing baby names from the opposite gender too. Scans can sometimes be wrong.
- If you’d like a name that’s not too common, check out the top baby names for the current year! There are plenty of websites with name statistics, so your child won’t be one of several “Willows” in class. Likewise if you don’t want something super uncommon.
- If you have names you like and would not like them shut-down by friends or family… don’t tell them!
- Find a discussion board if you’d like to discuss baby names with someone other than your family!
Review the shortlist
Phew – that took some effort! But now you have a shorter list to chose from. Start from the top and see if you’ve changed your mind on any of the names selected
Make some space!
Give yourself a break from baby names! The pressure can drive you crazy. You have time. Take a breath and a few days to recover.
Start back at the shortlist and make your way through again with a fresh set of eyes. Narrow it down further… then take a break again.
Now you should be down to a handful of names that you like for your soon to be newest family member! Many say that they had to see their little one’s face before settling on a name, so it may help to have a few backups just in case.
Then you’re almost ready to order your Welcome to the World personalized keepsake box with your baby’s name. A treasure chest ready to fill with all the tiny memories. Check them out here!